The Victoria & Albert Museum
Popularity follows the ukulele. Advertisement in the World Almanac, 1920.
Source: Boston Public Library
Two years he walks the earth. No phone, no pool, no pets, no cigarettes. Ultimate freedom. An extremist. An aesthetic voyager whose home is the road. Escaped from Atlanta. Thou shalt not return, ‘cause “the West is the best.” And now after two rambling years comes the final and greatest adventure. The climactic battle to kill the false being within and victoriously conclude the spiritual pilgrimage. Ten days and nights of freight trains and hitchhiking bring him to the Great White North. No longer to be poisoned by civilization he flees, and walks alone upon the land to become lost in the wild. (Into The Wild, 2007)
the mark of the broken
No, that’s the mark of fandoms who still remember what hope is like.This is the mark of the broken:
“This guy reading the newspaper on the subway is Keanu Reeves.
He is from a problematic family. His father was arrested when he was 12 for drug dealing and his mother was a stripper. His family moved to Canada and there he had several step dads.
He watched his girlfriend die. They were about to get married, and she died in a car accident. And also before that she had lost her baby. Since then Keanu avoids serious relationships and having kids.
He’s one of the only Hollywood stars without a Mansion. He said: ‘I live in a flat, I have everything that I need at anytime, why choose an empty house?’
One of his best friends died by overdose, he was River Phoenix (Joaquin Phoenix’s brother). Almost in the same year Keanu’s father was arrested again.
His younger sister had leukemia. Today she is cured, and he donated 70% of his gains from the movie Matrix to Hospitals that treat leukemia.
In one of his birthdays, he got to a little candy shop and bought him a cake, and started eating alone. If a fan walked by he would talk to them and offer some of the cake.
He doesn’t have bodyguards, and he doesn’t wear fancy clothes.
When they asked him about ‘Sad Keanu’, he replied: ‘You need to be happy to live, I don’t.’”
Here are the specific items I recommend placing in your Altoids or similar sized tin:
- Ritter Mk5 CRKT Knife (comes with an Altoids size storage tin): Perhaps the most important item in your kit. This excellent little knife can be used for constructing a shelter, hunting, skinning, a ferro rod striker, and for self-defense.
- Nano LED Mini-Flashlight: A great little flashlight. LEDs provide more light and consume less power than traditional lights. Can also be used for signaling.
- Emergency Water Bag (1 Quart): Water is critical as you can only live three days without it. Yes, this item takes up a lot of room in your tin, but it provides an effective way to collect water from natural sources like lakes and streams.
- Water Purification Pills (4 ea): Each pill sterilizes 1 liter of water. Remember to wait the required amount of time for the bacteria to be killed.
- Compass, Button Size: Navigational aid for those who are directionally challenged and for those who are in bad weather and/or poor visibility.
- Matches, waterproof (6 ea): Fire is absolutely vital in a survival situation. It can keep you warm, cook your food, sterilize your drinking water, and can be used as another source for light at night. Having a fire is also good for morale and if you’re in a survival situation, that can be pretty important.
- Match Striker: Needed to light your matches.
- Cotton Tinder (3 ea): A great fire starting aid.
- Spark-Lite Firestarter (Orange): Another great source for starting fires. Can start 1,000 fires.
- Vargo Titanium Whistle: A durable signaling device to call for help.
- P-38/51 Can Opener: Can also be used as a small cutting tool, ferro rod striker, or flat-bladed screw driver.
- Tin Foil: Can be used in cooking, for signaling, for collecting water, or as a drinking cup.
- Duct Tape: A multipurpose gem and a MacGyver favorite. Duct tape can be used for repairs, restraining, affixing, and attaching. It’s use is limited only by your imagination.
- Fishing Kit: Small assortment of hooks and sinkers. You gotta eat and being able to fish may help with the boredom, too.
- Fishing Line, 20ft (bobbin): Can be used not only for fishing, but also for clothing repairs, and for stitching up deep cuts.
- Alcohol Wipes (1 ea): For cleaning wounds and as a fire starting aid.
- Band Aid (1 ea): For cuts, abrasions, and blisters.
- Butterfly sutures (1 ea): For closing up cuts and wounds.
- Needle: For digging out deep splinters and along with a little fishing line can be used to stitch up wounds and repair clothing.
- Benadryl (2 ea): Allergy season can be rough! Also great for allergic reactions to stings.
- Imodium AD (1 ea): For when you get a bad case of the runs from bad food or water.
- Aleve (2 ea): Pain Killer and Relaxer.
- Safety Pin: Perfect for securing items to your clothing, removing deep splinters, and for making temporary repairs to clothing.
- Ranger Band: Essentially a giant rubber band cut from an old bicycle inner-tube and used to secure the tin. Can be used as a small tourniquet or as part of a sling-shot.